TX Hazing – Sexual Assault Draws Expulsions

.jpg photo of Superintendent of La Vernia Tx Schools
Superintendent Jose Moreno said that La Vernia is “deeply committed to protecting the safety and well-being of all its students.”

La Vernia ISD upholds expulsion of 2
students accused of sexual assault

LA VERNIA, TX  –  The La Vernia Independent School District upheld on Tuesday the expulsion of two students who have been accused of sexual assault, while two other students preemptively withdrew their appeals.

After holding hearings and deliberating in closed session for 2½ hours, the board of trustees unanimously voted to send two students to a disciplinary alternative education program outside of the district.  La Vernia ISD currently contracts with Nixon-Smiley Consolidated Independent School District for DAEP placements.  If the students do not enroll in that program by May 1, they can enroll in a juvenile justice alternative program run by Floresville Independent School District.

Originally, the board was going to consider appeals for four students, but two students withdrew their appeals just before the meeting began, opting instead to accept the district’s decision by default.  Those students have the same options for continuing their educations as the two students whose appeals were denied.

The four students, who were identified only by their initials — K.H., Z.S., P.B. and R.P. — are among the 13 students who have been arrested as part of an ongoing investigation into hazing and sexual assault accusations at La Vernia High School.  None of the initials match the six adult students who have been charged so far with sexual assault.

Previously, attorneys for Dustin Norman, one of the students charged as an adult, criticized the district’s handling of due process and claimed that Norman had not been given an appeals hearing.

Superintendent Jose Moreno said in a statement that La Vernia is “deeply committed to protecting the safety and well-being of all its students.”  Before adjourning the meeting at 8:05 p.m., he said he would look into the possibility of hiring a campus police officer, at the request of a board member.

“I believe the board has taken all the information they were provided and made a sound decision based on what they believe was right,” Moreno said.

“The board’s decision, while a difficult one, gives the students a path forward to complete their credits and graduate,” Moreno said.

Since the arrests, the middle school and high school students have participated in Rachel’s Challenge, a program aimed at reducing bullying, harassment and violence in schools.  Moreno said he has also met with the parents of athletes to discuss their concerns.

So far, authorities have arrested six adult and seven minor students in connection with allegations of systemic hazing within the high school’s football, basketball and baseball teams.  Earlier this month, the family of one of the victims filed a lawsuit against the district and school staff, alleging their son had been repeatedly assaulted by football teammates over a period of three years.

The Texas Rangers have taken the lead on the investigation, which remains ongoing.  Officers have established a presence at the school as they conduct interviews with students.

Ms Orange County 2014 Is Child Pornographer 2017

.jpg photo of Child Pornographer
Meghan Alt, 25, was named Mrs. Orange County in 2014

California beauty pageant winner pleads guilty to Child Porn

NEWPORT BEACH, CA  –  A former winner of California’s Mrs. Orange County beauty pageant has pleaded guilty to possessing child pornography and lewd acts with a child.

Meghan Alt, 25, was arrested for allegedly using a 4-year-old relative in creating and distributing child pornography.

County court records say 27-year-old Meghan Alt entered the pleas last Friday and was sentenced to 300 days in jail and three years of probation.

Prosecutors dismissed two additional charges of lewd acts with a child.

Alt was ordered to serve the jail sentence starting Friday.

Alt’s lawyer did not immediately respond to an emailed message seeking comment.

She was arrested in 2015.  Prosecutors said she sold images of a 4-year-old relative to a marine.

Alt is from the Southern California City of Irvine and has three children.

She was crowned Mrs. Orange County in 2014 and competed in the Mrs. California contest the same year.

TX AG CEU Stops Another Child Pornographer

.jpg photo of Child Predator
Joshua Carl Wulff, 26, of Leander TX

Child Exploitation Unit Arrests Williamson County Man for Possession of
Child Pornography

AUSTIN, TX  –  Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton announced that earlier this week the Child Exploitation Unit (CEU) of his office arrested 26-year-old Joshua Carl Wulff, of Leander, on four counts of Possession of Child Pornography, a third-degree felony.  Wulff could face up to 10 years in prison per charge if convicted.

Following a referral from Pennsylvania law enforcement, CEU investigators executed a search warrant at Wulff’s residence, where child pornography was found on his laptop.

Investigators confiscated additional digital storage devices that will be examined by the attorney general’s Digital Forensics Unit.

During an interview, Wulff confessed to using online social networks to solicit children.

He was booked into Williamson County Jail without incident.

The Texas Attorney General’s Office works to protect children by using the latest technology to track down some of the most profoundly evil predators online.

The CEU proactively seeks out and arrests predators who commit crimes against children using technology and online sources.

Attorney General Paxton urges all parents and teachers to become aware of the risks our children face on the internet and take steps to help ensure their children’s safety.

For more information on cyber safety, please visit:
https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/cj/cyber-safety

TX AG CEU Stops Cedar Creek Purveyor Of Child Porn

.jpg photo of Child Pornographer
Jason Matthew Pertolanitz, 40, of Cedar Creek

OAG’s Child Exploitation Unit Arrests
Bastrop County Man for Possession of
Child Pornography

AUSTIN, TX  –  Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton announced today that the Child Exploitation Unit (CEU) of his office arrested 40-year-old Jason Matthew Pertolanitz, of Cedar Creek,

on one count of Possession of Child Pornography, a third-degree felony. Pertolanitz could face up to 10 years in prison if convicted.

Following several CyberTipline reports from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, CEU investigators executed a search warrant at Pertolanitz’s home, where child pornography was found on his cell phone.

Investigators confiscated additional digital storage devices that will be examined by the attorney general’s Digital Forensics Unit. Pertolanitz confessed that he used his cell phone to download and save child pornography.

He was booked into Bastrop County Jail without incident.

The Texas Attorney General’s Office works to protect children by using the latest technology to track down some of the most profoundly evil predators online.

The CEU proactively seeks out and arrests predators who commit crimes against children using technology and online sources.

Attorney General Paxton urges all parents and teachers to become aware of the risks our children face on the internet and take steps to help ensure their children’s safety.

For more information on cyber safety, please visit: https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/cj/cyber-safety

You Are Your Child’s Best Resource

.jpg photo of NCMEC LOGO
The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children®

When it comes to keeping your child safe,
YOU are their best resource.

The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children® knows children face risks every day.  That is why NCMEC provides resources to children, teachers, child care providers, parents and others to help keep children safer.  Please take a look at the resources below to learn more about how to keep your children safer.

KidSmartz

KidSmartz is NCMEC’s abduction prevention program that educates families about the 4 Rules of Safety and empowers kids in grades K-5 to make safer and smarter decisions.

NetSmartz® Workshop

Learn more about the Internet safety resources offered by the NetSmartz Workshop.  These interactive educational resources help prepare children to be safer online.

Safety Central

Safety Central is NCMEC’s child safety app, which includes a digital child ID and the latest news and safety tips from NCMEC.  The app even reminds you when it’s time to take a new photo of your child, which is one of the most important tools you would need if your child was missing.

If your child is missing

Learn what to do if your child is missing.  NCMEC recommends you immediately call your local law enforcement agency and then call NCMEC at 1-800-THE-LOST® (1-800-843-5678).

Victim and family support

Learn more about the support services NCMEC provides to victims and families coping with the traumatic experiences of abduction and sexual exploitation.

It is because of you that we are able to do so much on behalf of the children who need us most.  Thank you for supporting the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children®.  Together we are making a difference.

Sincerely,

Callahan Walsh
Child Advocate

Resources:

National Center for Missing & Exploited Children®
http://www.missingkids.org

Did You Make A Difference Today?