Another Of Our Protectors Taken

.jpg photo of Hatch New Mexico Police Patch
Another of Our Protectors taken from us

Officer Chavez funeral set for Sunday,
hundreds expected

LAS CRUCES, NM  –  Hundreds of people are expected to gather on Sunday to give their final good bye’s to fallen Hatch Officer Jose Chavez.. 

Officer Chavez is expected to take his final patrol through the Village of Hatch tomorrow then proceed with his funeral in Las Cruces which is open to the public.

It’s been over a week since Chavez was shot and killed during a routine traffic stop in Hatch, New Mexico.  Authorities say that Jesse Hanes, a fugitive out of Ohio is responsible for Chavez’s murder.

While authorities continue to investigate the motives behind Hanes’ actions, his loved ones and colleagues are preparing for his final goodbye.

On Sunday, a group of regional law enforcement will gather near Hatch Valley High School for the funeral procession.  They will then lead Chavez’s body on his final patrol through the Village of Hatch, passing by the Hatch Valley Regional Public Safety Building.  From there, the motorcade will head south to Las Cruces.

Authorities are advising motorists to be cautious of temporarily closures that will occur once in Las Cruces.

The final stop for Chavez’s body will be at the pan am center.

Doors are set to open at 1 p.m., the funeral is expected to start at 3 p.m.

Those attending are expected not to bring bags, as there is a strict no bag policy.

Flowers and momentos will be accepted at a silent witness display of Officer Chavez’s police unit.

Now keep in mind if you do plan on traveling to Las Cruces for the funeral, parts of I-10 West will be closed all day.

Here’s more on the funeral: https://donaanacounty.org/content/officers-finalize-details-chavez-funeral-tribute

Michigan Woman Throws Baby

.jpg photo of Babysitter arrested for Child Abuse
Autumn Skuse

Babysitter charged with Child Abuse after
allegedly throwing infant

IONIA, MI  –  An Ionia County woman is now charged with first-degree child abuse involving an 8-month-old baby.

Police say Thomas Pierson suffered three skull fractures and a brain bleed while in the care of Autumn Skuse.

Skuse was arrested Monday and charged Tuesday morning in Ionia District Court.  Police say she initially told them the child had fallen.

Rachel Pierson, the baby’s mother, says Skuse was recommended to them and they interviewed her twice before hiring her.

“You would never, never, guess she would have done this to him,” Pierson said.  “I still can’t believe it.  He’s a great baby.”

Baby Thomas was taken to Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital, where doctors told the parents the injuries were not consistent with a fall.

Pierson says Skuse contacted her over the weekend.

“She says she snapped and dropped him, Pierson said.  “She said he was supposed to land on a pillow.  Obviously he didn’t.  She said she was abused herself as a child and she’s going to the mental health hospital.”

Skuse was given a $50,000 bond Tuesday morning.

In addition to the skull fractures, the boy had several broken ribs.

Thomas is back home with his mother and father.  Rachel says they are taking his recovery one day at a time, but so far, he seems to be doing well.

A GoFundMe page has been set up by Thomas’s mother if you would like to help with his recovery.  On the page, his mother wrote, “Baby Thomas is home and did well last night.  No seizures still… thank God!  #JusticeforThomas.”

VA CPS Ignored Shredded Child Abuse Reports

.jpg photo of Virginia CPS Officials
Bill Burleson, Interium Director in Rockbridge and Piedmont Regional Director Susan Reese

51 formally ignored cases of Child Abuse
reopened in Rockbridge by state

ROCKBRIDGE CO., VA  –  An investigation into the Rockbridge Area Department of Social Services has led to more than 50 cases of potential child abuse being re-opened.

This comes after an internal review into the organization revealed reported cases of child abuse were shredded or never investigated.

This week, five members of the state team are investigating those cases thanks to the help of current employees who kept copy of records that their supervisor destroyed.

Almost a third of those have now been validated by the state team, meaning they have been investigated further.

That’s 51 cases of potential child abuse that have been reopened.

Piedmont Regional Director Susan Reese is first pointed out issues during an internal review.

Report: Rockbridge Co. Social Services ignored, shredded child abuse reports
Read the 38 page PDF report

She said the work of current employees who kept copies of those cases is key, and was a “bold, brave” move she applauds.

“It helped a great deal.  They knew.  I guess they just had a feeling that something was not right and they kept those and that was a great help to us in this,” Reese said.

In all they’ve reviewed about 180 cases.

“Between the ones that were shredded and the ones that were pulled from the system, we checked everything,” Reese said.

Now she and another member of the state team are personally investigating each one.

“It makes me feel much better to be able to assess the safety of these children and know that the children involved are safe,” Reese said.

His first week on the job, Bill Burleson will now be the interim director in Rockbridge.

“I’m not here as a hatchet guy, I’m here as a fix it guy,” Burleson said.

He is on a three-month contract and has been temporarily hired after retiring from a lifelong career in the field.  He’s working to reorganize the office.

“My job is to take the agency from right now and to get some people in here, get some training in here, do a little reorganizing and establish some lines of communication,” Burleson said.

He’s meeting with county leaders including the sheriff who he says will help in the hiring process of a new county director.

“First thing I did was give them my home phone number, my cell phone.  I’m here part-time… but I’m always on the other end of the telephone,” Burleson said.

He says he is committed to getting the office on the right track before a permanent replacement is hired.

He says on Monday, a newly hired employee will start at the office to ensure that every case is entered in to the system.

Kansas Man Leaves Baby In Trash

.jpg photo of Man put Baby in dumpster
Marquis Jamall Young , 27

Man charged with attempted murder, Child Abuse after baby found in trash

LAWRENCE, KS  –  A 27-year-old man will face attempted murder and child abuse charges after he allegedly left his 6-month-old step-daughter in the trash.

Lawrence Police said 27-year-old Marquis Jamall Young will face attempted first degree murder and child abuse charges after he was accused of leaving his 6-month-old step daughter in a trash receptacle outside of a Lawrence apartment.

On July 7, 2016 a woman walked outside to empty a vacuum cleaner into an outdoor trash compactor at the Trail Ridge Apartment Complex when she heard a noise that she thought was a kitten.

The woman started digging and threw out five or six trash bags and found a baby girl in the compactor screaming.

A neighbor heard the woman yelling for help and called police.

The baby was rushed to the hospital in serious but stable condition with gashes on her head and many bug bites.

An hour and a half earlier, a man parked his SUV in another part of the complex.  Neighbors said he was acting erratically, so they called police.

“There was definitely something wrong mentally going on with him, from the things he was saying, and (he was) just acting weird,” said one neighbor.

The apartment where that man lived, the neighbor said, was the same one police had cordoned off after the child was found.

The man’s wife told friends that she and her husband had a fight, she left and returned about 5:30 a.m. to find her 6-month-old daughter missing.

Neighbors also said they believe the man had been to the trash compactor before abandoning his SUV across the complex.

Lawrence Police investigators were able to identify the child’s step-father, Marquis Jamall Young, as the suspect and a warrant was issued for his arrest.

Young is currently in custody in Johnson County on unrelated charges.  He will be brought to Douglas County to face charges of attempted first degree murder and child abuse.

Police said the baby involved in this case has since been released from the hospital and remains in the care of the state.  She will continue to receive medical care for her injuries on an outpatient basis. 

Young Man Tricked On Social Media, Beat To Death

.jpg photo of man lured on social media to his death
Preston Talley, 35

4 arrested in murder investigation; accused
of using social media to lure victim

BROOKSVILLE, FL  –  Detectives made four arrests in a grizzly Hernando County murder.

A man walking in the woods Sunday spotted a car with a naked body lying near it and called authorities.  Deputies spent hours at the crime scene off State Road 50 in the eastern part of the county, processing the scene and gathering evidence.  Their investigation revealed the victim had been in contact with three men and a woman on the dating site Plenty of Fish.

The victim has been identified as 35-year old Preston Talley, of Gainesville.

Investigators believe Talley thought he was speaking with 25-year old Kayla Morrow, of Dade City.  In reality, he was communicating with 24-year old Joshual Gardner, who lived at the same address as Morrow.

“Her and Mr. Gardner and two other individuals were actually attempting to lure our victim into Hernando County … for what he thought was going to be either sexual acts and or consuming drugs, specifically methamphetamine,” Sheriff Al Nienhuis said.

Talley drove to the area and met with Morrow.  The two spoke briefly before he followed her to an isolated wooded area off of the highway.  There, the three other suspects were hiding and waiting.

“Our information is the minute he got out of the vehicle, one of the suspects began to hit him with a bat… (They) beat him viciously in the head to the point where he was deceased,” Nienhuis said.

Morrow, Gardner and the two other suspects, 19-year old Andrew Abbott and 24-year old Brandon Harrelson, allegedly took $20 and meth from the victim.  At some point, the four allegedly removed Talley’s clothes and disposed of some of their own clothing.  The sheriff believes they did so to destroy evidence.

Authorities say the suspects then left the state, heading for the Jackson, Mississippi area.  After making their way back into Florida, there were arrested in the Gainesville area.

One or more of the suspects told friends or relatives what happened, detectives said.  Authorities interviewed those acquaintances.

Morrow, Gardner, Abbott and Harrelson are charged with robbery and first-degree murder.  They will be transported from Alachua County to the Hernando County Jail.

Did You Make A Difference Today?

%d bloggers like this: