Tag Archives: Child Endangerment

Bond Reduced After Luring Child From Home?

.jpg photo of man accused of kidnapping Child
Juan Andrade, 30

Bond Reduced For Two Illinois Men Charged
With Kidnapping Olive Branch Teen Lured
Through App

MEMPHIS, TN  –  An Olive Branch, Mississippi judge reduced bonds for two Illinois men accused of kidnapping a teenager earlier this month.

.jpg photo of man accused of kidnapping Child
Jason St. Aubin, 29

30-year-old Juan Andrade and 29-year-old Jason St. Aubin are charged with kidnapping and conspiracy for taking a 14-year-old boy from his home.  They both had $600,000 bonds until Tuesday.  The bond for Jason St. Aubin was reduced to $500,000.  Juan Andrade’s bond is now $300,000.

“That was just an agreement taking into account the appropriate circumstances, under the rules of criminal procedure,” says prosecutor Luke Williamson.

Olive Branch Police say the two Illinois men charged with conspiracy and kidnapping could face additional charges.  Local authorities along with the FBI are still gathering evidence.

Police believe the suspects used a video gaming messaging app to lure an Olive Branch, Mississippi teen from his home earlier this month.  The boy is safe, but the case is far from over.

“This is an ongoing investigation and does involve coordination with other agencies and so it is still in progress,” says Williamson.

The mothers of both suspects were in court Tuesday, but they didn’t talk to the media.

Once the investigation is done, the case will go to the grand jury who will then decide if the two men should be indicted on the charges against them.

Danville VA AMBER ALERT Cancelled

Baby Emma found safe and Father arrested

DANVILLE, VA  –  The search for a missing Danville, Virginia infant believed to be in extreme danger is over.

  • NC tag EKZ-5093
  • 2007 Gold Suzuki four-door Forenza
  • 7-month-old Emma Grace Kennedy.
  • Blond, with blue eyes, and weighing about 18 pounds
  • She was last seen wearing a light blue onesie.
  • Last seen at Kwik Stop on Riverside Drive in Danville.

Emma Grace Kennedy, who is seven months old, appeared to be in good health and was being evaluated at a hospital, the Danville Police Department in Virginia said in a news release.

.jpg photo of suspect in Amber Alert
Carl Ray Kennedy, a registered sex offender in North Carolina and could be armed with a knife

Carl Ray Kennedy, the girl’s father, was arrested with the baby in Randleman, North Carolina, about 65 miles south of where the abduction took place Sunday evening at a gas station in Danville, police said.

Virginia State Police had issued an Amber Alert early Monday stating that the infant was in “extreme danger.”

Kennedy, 51, is a registered sex offender with a long criminal history, police said.

Before the alleged abduction, he was out of jail on a $250,000 bond on a drug distribution charge.

Danville VA AMBER ALERT

Man wanted in Danville, Virginia Amber Alert possibly sighted in North Carolina

Danville, VA – JOHNSON CITY, TN (WJHL) — The search for a missing Danville, Virginia infant believed to be in extreme danger continues.

  • NC tag EKZ-5093
  • 2007 Gold Suzuki four-door Forenza
  • 7-month-old Emma Grace Kennedy.
  • Blond, with blue eyes, and weighing about 18 pounds
  • She was last seen wearing a light blue onesie.
  • Last seen at Kwik Stop on Riverside Drive in Danville.
.jpg photo of suspect in Amber Alert
Carl Ray Kennedy, a registered sex offender in North Carolina and could be armed with a knife

Seven month-old Emma Grace Kennedy is believed to have been abducted by Carl Ray Kennedy on Sunday night at the Kwik Stop on Riverside Drive in Danville, Virginia, which is about three hours from the Tri-Cities.

Carl Ray Kennedy was possibly sighted in the area of Seven Springs, North Carolina around 6:30 p.m. Monday night and may possibly he headed to Oak Island, North Carolina.

Virginia State Police also releasing new license plate information: NC tag EKZ-5093, traveling in a 2007 Gold Suzuki four-door Forenza.

He was last seen wearing a brown shirt, gray pants, with gray hair and green eyes.

He has a tattoo of a skull on his left forearm a tattoo of a skull with bandana over the mouth on right forearm, an eye tattoo on the back of his right hand, an upper right arm tattoo of a pitbull with American bulldog written under it and a wizard on his left upper arm.

Kennedy is also a registered sex offender in North Carolina and could be armed with a knife.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Danville Police Department at 434-799-5111 or Virginia State Police at 1-800-822-4453.

Babysitters Are Rats And Roaches

.jpg photo where Child was left alone overnight
A FedEx deliveryman discovered the lonely boy.

5-year-old Bronx boy’s parents left him home alone for a night in feces-stained apartment

New York  –  The flies and the neighbors were still buzzing Saturday after a 5-year-old boy was abandoned all night by his parents inside their vermin-riddled Bronx apartment.

Mom Charlotte Lewis, 49, and dad Wilfred Lewis, 59, were arrested for leaving the child home alone — except for the cockroaches, rats and flies.

“A couple of times they would leave the door open and I always told my boyfriend, ‘Oh, that house is kind of disgusting,’” said Deanna Strom, 27, one day after a FedEx deliveryman discovered the lonely boy.

The Kingsbridge Ave. apartment, in addition to the living critters, featured feces splattered across the walls when cops arrived on the scene Friday afternoon.

A stench of decay wafted from the apartment Saturday, when a squadron of flies remained visible through a hole left in the front door where the knob was missing.

“I couldn’t imagine that at all,” Strom said about the vile conditions inside the home.  “It was pretty disturbing.”

On top of the repugnant state of the residence, there was no food inside the refrigerator, authorities said.

The parents were arraigned in Bronx Criminal Court Saturday night on endangerment charges.

Prosecutors said three out of the four children recently had scabies and the little boy left alone had bugs on his body and in his coat.

“This is not a case of poverty, but severe child abuse and neglect,” said Assistant District Attorney Nick Lastella.

There was combination of live and dead rodents in the home and “significant blood smears in the apartment, particularly in the bathroom and on the toilet,” Lastella said.

The boy told police that he last saw his parents on Thursday night, cops said.

Authorities found his mother at Montefiore Medical Center where she works as a nurse.  Prosecutors said she is enrolled in a masters program at New York University.

The boy’s father is a technician for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

The couple has three other kids — a 12-year-old girl, a 13-year-old girl, and a 15-year-old boy — although none were at home when police arrived.

All four kids are at Montefiore for observation, prosecutors said. Bail for their parents was set at $15,000.

How Can This Be Simple Child Abuse

.jpg photo of mother charged with child abuse
Kaylene Bowenwright, 34, was charged with child abuse.

Texas mother charged with Child Abuse
after son had 323 doctor visits and
13 major surgeries

Dallas County, TX  –  A community in northeast Dallas is reeling over a 34-year-old mother charged with child abuse after spending the past eight years taking her son to 323 doctor visits and putting him through 13 major surgeries.

Kaylene Bowenwright, of Lake Highlands, was arraigned in Dallas County Dec. 6 on a warrant accusing her of injury to a child with serious bodily injury with bail set at $150,000, according to court documents.  Bowenwright was also ordered not to communicate with her son Christopher, 8, and have no contact with other minors.

“Throughout his young life, Christopher has been placed full time on oxygen and, at times, used a wheelchair.  He’s endured invasive procedures and surgeries, including being fitted with a feeding tube that fed directly into his small intestine and led to multiple life-threatening blood infections,” the Star-Telegram reported.

Dr. Suzanne Roper-Dakil of Children’s Medical Center Dallas suspected that Bowenwright may have been trying to make Christopher sick, according to an affidavit included in a Child Protective Services petition for Christopher’s removal from his mother obtained by the Star-Telegram.  This suspicion was raised after Bowenwright recently took Christopher to the center because of a supposed seizure.

“I am very concerned that mother has moved from exaggerating symptoms to inducing symptoms,” Roper-Dakil wrote in the affidavit.  “If mother has given Chris something to induce a seizure, this is potentially fatal.  At this point, I am very concerned for his welfare.”

A request for comment has been placed with Children’s Medical Center Dallas.

Christopher’s father Ryan Crawford tried convincing a Dallas County family court judge that his son was not as sick as his mother claimed and she was just fishing for attention.  Crawford believes Bowenwright may exhibit Munchausen’s syndrome by proxy, a disorder in which a person creates or induces symptoms in others to gain attention.

Bowenwright’s claims regarding her son’s poor health even inspired the Dallas community to start a YouCaring campaign two years ago for Christopher that has raised more than $8,000.

“Christopher is battling a severe case of Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM) in his lungs, kidneys, liver, heart and brain. Diagnosed at the age of two, the congenital condition is slowly taking the wind out of the sails of this bright and active boy.  His sparkling eyes and ready smile belie the fact that his arteries and veins are no longer working as they should to deliver oxygen-rich blood throughout his body,” the YouCaring campaign states.

A GoFundMe campaign called “Christopher’s Beach Bash” was launched in Aug. 2016.  It raised $610 before being shut down.  The campaign appears to have been started by a family friend, according to a preserved version of it on Google.

“Never in your life do u want to hear the dreadful ‘C’ word about anyone but hearing it when it comes to a 7-year-old that you love like your own is what I’m facing right now.  One of my very dear friends, Kaylene, has a son who has been diagnosed with cancer.  Christopher has been given 6 months to love by the doctors but I know the God that I serve and he is more powerful than the words of doctors or attacks from satan,” Lori Hawkins-Sims wrote in the campaign description on GoFundMe.

Doctors determined that Christopher does not have cancer or many of the symptoms that Bowenwright claims and which inspired the YouCaring and GoFundMe campaigns, the Star-Telegram added.

A request for comment has been placed with Bowenwright’s public defender.