The Fugitive Apprehension Unit made several noteworthy arrests last week:
In Dallas County, Jorge Antonio Cervantes was arrested in Dallas on July 21, on an outstanding warrant for Sexual Assault issued by the Waxahachie Police Department.
In Bexar County, Nicole Kristina Clayton was arrested in San Antonio on July 16, on an outstanding warrant for Sex Offense Against Child Fondling – Felony Indecency with a Child/Sexual Contact issued by the Harris County Sheriff’s Office. This arrest was made while working in conjunction with the United States Marshals Lone Star Fugitive Task Force out of San Antonio.
In Travis County, Milo Cortez Douglas was arrested in Austin on July 19, on an outstanding warrant for Murder issued by the Austin Police Department. This arrest was made while working in conjunction with the United States Marshals Lone Star Fugitive Task Force out of Austin.
In Dallas County, Facundo Dario Araya was arrested in Irving on July 20, on an outstanding warrant for Sexual Assault of a Child issued by the Wise County Sheriff’s Office.
Behind the motto of ‘make good boys better,’ a darker side of New Hampshire’s Camp Tecumseh
Since 1903, Camp Tecumseh has welcomed young male campers to New Hampshire’s Lake Winnipesaukee for summers of sports and outdoor adventures to “make good boys better.”
But at least two campers who summered there had a very different experience of life at the camp. They say that at different times between 1999 and 2013 they were sexually abused by Matthew J. Scavitto, 37, a former camper and counselor who has since been convicted of sexual abuse in Pennsylvania.
Police in the small, lakeside town of Moultonborough, N.H., are now investigating the accusations, which have cast a pall over the 350-acre camp that draws many boys from the Philadelphia area and boasts of alumni including Prince Albert II of Monaco, the son of actress Grace Kelly; and the late Bert Bell, the first NFL commissioner.
One former camper who said he was molested at the camp by Scavitto during the early 2000s said life at Tecumseh required navigating a maze of demeaning and embarrassing practices.
“It was ‘Lord of the Flies,’ ” said Will Addis, 30, referring to the novel about boys who descend into chaos after being stranded on an uninhabited island. “It has a pervasive culture of toxic masculinity and abusive practices.”
Addis, of Nantucket, sued Camp Tecumseh last fall in New Hampshire, alleging that Scavitto sexually assaulted him repeatedly from 2001 and 2003.
Camp life, Addis alleged, celebrated games that sometimes took on sexual overtones and primitive accommodations like a shared shower area without curtains between campers and “The Widdow,” a bathroom with no privacy doors.
Campers who chafed at Tecumseh’s rituals were vulnerable to being hazed or bullied, Addis said, and the camp also permitted nude swimming, pranking others by twisting nipples, and having campers apply IcyHot to their testicles in a Mercy-style game.
Scavitto, of West Chester, Pa., declined to comment. He has not been charged in the Tecumseh matter, but, in a separate case, pleaded guilty in 2015 to charges of institutional sexual assault and corruption of minors and was sentenced to 11 1/2 months to 1 year and 11 months in prison, records show.
Scavitto was prosecuted after two students at The Phelps School in suburban Philadelphia, accused him of sexually abusing them while he worked there as a teacher, coach, and dorm supervisor, police said.
One of the Phelps students also attended Camp Tecumseh and told investigators that Scavitto sexually abused him at the camp in 2013, a police report said.
Scavitto was at the camp from 1994 to 2014, according to Camp Tecumseh, which cut ties with him after his Pennsylvania arrest in June 2015.
As campers returned Saturday to Camp Tecumseh, Addis said he wants to share his story publicly and highlight aspects of camp culture that he believes facilitated Scavitto’s abuse of boys.
The state of the police investigation is unclear. Moultonborough police Sergeant Jody Baker said the investigation is open and she was not “in a position to comment.”
Addis and the camp said they reached an out-of-court settlement earlier this year.
Photos and videos posted on a camp alumni website and YouTube show some of the practices and old-school, rough-edged play that concern Addis.
One photo of a game called “Buck Buck” shows a chain of kneeling campers clutching the waist of the person in front of them as an adult man straddles the back of one participant. One set of players tries to build a pile as large as possible on top of a second group of players who are linked together.
The camp said it stopped sanctioning nude swimming in the early 1990s and built a dividing wall in the bathroom in the early 2000s. The bathroom and showers were renovated this year to enclose toilets and install curtains around each shower.
The camp didn’t directly address specific games or pranks, but said it has “recognized that what once may have been considered adolescent humor or physical pranks of innocent intent have no place at Camp.”
“While bullying and hazing have never been permitted or tolerated, we have recognized that even well-intended or seemingly innocent jokes and pranks were no longer appropriate or supportive of Camp’s values and mission,” the camp wrote in response to questions from the Globe. “These changes were part of our concerted effort to create an environment where minors feel safe and are protected by clear boundaries, guidelines, and expectations and multiple levels of oversight.”
The camp said it created a new senior-level position, director of camper safety and wellness, to oversee the protection of minors, and retained outside experts to train staff. Tuition for this summer’s seven-week session is $7,700, and scholarships are available from the nonprofit camp.
A 3 1/2 page camp statement said it is “committed to an environment where minors and adults feel empowered to report incidents and have a clear understanding of what to look for and how to prevent and stop abuse.”
“Nothing that we do now can undo the harm caused to our former campers, both those who were directly impacted, as well as the many other campers, counselors, and senior leaders whose sense of safety and security were shaken by these events. We are deeply sorry to the former campers who were abused by Scavitto, and so very grateful for their courage in speaking up and standing strong.”
On Thursday, the camp issued a letter informing the Tecumseh community that the Globe was preparing a story about Addis and described its efforts to address his concerns.
Being close to Scavitto, Addis said, shielded him from hazing and bullying.
In the last year, Addis said, he learned that in 2003 a counselor came upon him and Scavitto in bed together in their cabin, and reported it to his father, also a camp employee. The counselor and his father in turn, Addis said, approached the camp director.
“Nothing happened,” Addis said. “This was incredibly public. People knew what was going on but they didn’t do anything.”
Reached by the Globe, the former counselor said he couldn’t speak and hung up. His father didn’t respond to e-mails.
Camp Tecumseh said that an internal investigation launched after Scavitto’s Pennsylvania arrest revealed that the counselor and his father approached the camp director during the early 2000s with a “concern about boundaries, rather than about abuse.” The camp said it shared the information with New Hampshire police after learning about it in 2015.
James Talbot, the camp director in 2003, said he has no recollection of being approached.
“Nor did I have any other information that any of this behavior took place while I was camp director,” Talbot wrote in an e-mail. “Had I known, I would have put an immediate stop to it and notified the authorities.”
Addis’s lawyer, Eric MacLeish, said the camp missed an opportunity to stop Scavitto years before he was accused of molesting boys in Pennsylvania.
“By the time Will was molested, the mandatory abuse reporting laws had been in effect in New Hampshire for decades,” said MacLeish, a New Hampshire attorney who has represented many child sex abuse victims. “It is impossible to understand why the Camp failed to investigate, report, or fire Scavitto when it learned that he was in bed at 10: 30 at night with a [10-]year-old child.”
After Scavitto’s 2015 arrest, the camp said it hired the law firm Cozen O’Connor to investigate, contacted the families of current and former campers, alerted police and child protective services in New Hampshire, and added staff to ensure individual campers are never alone with a counselor.
It was unclear whether state officials in New Hampshire were informed about the alleged abuse. A spokesman for the state’s child welfare division said state and federal laws require it to protect the privacy of any individuals involved in the agency.
Responding to a records request, the state’s health and human services agency produced one document from Scavitto’s tenure as a counselor, a 2014 report that noted beds were too close together in the cabin visited by the inspector. A department spokesman said other files were purged after five years, and that the agency had only been authorized in 2020 to oversee camps.
At Tecumseh in 2001, Addis was assigned to a cabin of 18 campers, where Scavitto had arranged for him to sleep next to him, Addis recalled. At night and during the daytime rest period, Addis said Scavitto sexually assaulted him.
Around camp, Addis said Scavitto held his hand, played with his hair, and put his arm around him.
“He told me he loved me,” Addis said. “He told me not tell anybody this is our little secret.”
He added: “I almost felt that I had better treatment than any other camper and some counselors. I felt like I had such privilege at that camp.”
Last March, Addis said, the closing of the economy due to the coronavirus pandemic set off a change in him. He said childhood memories of Camp Tecumseh and Scavitto filled his mind and he took action.
Up until then, Addis said, he feared what happened to him at camp.
“I thought I would take this to the grave,” he said.
The Child Exploitation Unit made one noteworthy arrest last week.
In Bexar County, Brandon Garza, 22, of San Antonio, was arrested for two counts of Promotion of Child Pornography and one count of Continuous Sexual Abuse of Young Child on May 12. This case was received as a NCMEC CyberTipline report involving the upload of child pornography to an online account, with a possible live victim. During an interview, Garza confessed to owning the online account, producing child pornography with a 9-year-old female child victim, and sending images of child pornography. Investigators seized multiple devices to be examined by the Digital Forensics Unit. Garza was transported to the Bexar County Jail.
The Fugitive Apprehension Unit made several noteworthy arrests last week.
In Bexar County, Gonzalo Gonzales was arrested in San Antonio on May 7. Gonzales had an outstanding warrant for Sexual Assault/Aggravated Sexual Assault of a Child issued by the Frio County Sheriff’s Office, as well as a warrant for Sexual Assault/Aggravated Sexual Assault of a Child under 14 by the Brazos County Sheriff’s Office.
In Bexar County, Darren Paul Doze was arrested in San Antonio on May 7. Doze had an outstanding warrant for Homicide issued by the Leon Valley Police Department. This arrest was made while working with the United States Marshals Lone Star Fugitive Task Force out of San Antonio.
In Galveston County, James Nolans Logan was arrested in Galveston on May 12. Logan had an outstanding warrant for Murder issued by the Los Angeles Police Department in California. This arrest was made while working with the Gulf Coast Violent Offender Task Force.
In Travis County, Victor Roman Cardenas was arrested in Austin on May 13. Cardenas had outstanding warrants for two Counts of Aggravated Sexual Assault of a Child by the Austin Police Department. This arrest was made while working with the United States Marshals Lone Star Fugitive Task Force out of Austin.
Catching Predators: An Exclusive Look Inside A Statewide Underage Sex Sting
ROGERS COUNTY, OK – A two-month undercover sex sting to take down child sex predators ended with nearly a dozen men in jail in Rogers County, but this operation extends far beyond the county line.
Operation “Guardian Angels” went after adults trying to meet and have sex with what they thought were 14-year-old boys and 15-year-old girls.
For the last two months, News On 6’s Reagan Ledbetter rode along with investigators at all times of the day and night, as investigators arrested suspected predators from Joplin, Missouri to Oklahoma City. Months ago, investigators created fake social media profiles of 14-year-old boys and 15-year-old girls.
They arrested 11 men accused of trying to meet and have sex with those children.
Deputies said what people do not realize is predators will do whatever, and go wherever, to meet children. In one of the cases, deputies said the suspect drove from Joplin, Missouri, rented a hotel room, and messaged the girl and told her he wants to have sex with her. But, it didn’t stop there.
Just days later, the operation went to Oklahoma City.
“We have an arrest warrant that we are getting ready to execute on a violent predator down here in Oklahoma City,” said Lt. Kyle Baker with the Rogers County Sheriff’s Office. “He’s been soliciting a 15-year-old female for sex and other disgusting things he would like to do to her.”
Investigators teamed up with OKC police to take down a foster dad, Craig Hooper, who they said told the fake profile he wanted to get her a bus ticket to come to Oklahoma City so he could be her foster father and have sex with her. Investigators said half of their arrests were men trying to meet boys.
They said two of the suspects showed up with loaded guns.
In another case, deputies said Johnny Rose planned to pick up who he thought was a 15-year-old girl for sex and to do drugs, but he tried to get away. They chased him and eventually arrested him on the highway.
“We already positively identified who he was; we were basically just waiting for him to show up,” said Sgt. Bo Williams with the Rogers County Sheriff’s Office. “We’ve already got communications with him in regards to sexual stuff he was wanting to do with our undercover profile; so, he’s bought and paid for.”
In the past, sexual predators had to drive around looking for a child to kidnap. Now, the predators are in your own living room, on your kid’s phone, and you have no idea – until it’s too late.
“They are predators and technology gives them a vehicle to do this. Most of the time if you look at the stats, untouched,” said Rogers County Sheriff Scott Walton.
Law enforcement’s worst fear is they don’t get to a suspect before he actually assaults a real victim, but that’s a reality and that’s what led to the arrest of 18-year-old Wade Ennis. He’s accused of sexually assaulting a 13-year-old girl, which was captured on video.
Deputies said he admitted to that crime, as well as abusing other children who were even younger.
“That’s the one we want to get,” said Sgt. John Haning with the Rogers County Sheriff’s Office. “He had already touched, or potentially touched, three underage victims. As he was getting older, he was getting more brazen.”
Investigators said parents have to know what their kids are doing online, because the harsh reality is, for every one they arrest they have four more trying to meet a child for sex.
They said 80 percent of all child predators never get caught.
Pantene just released an online commercial that has resulted in backlash from Christians and non-Christians alike. Sawyer, a transgender girl, and Sawyer’s two moms are featured in the latest Pantene ad, which glamorizes the LGBTQ lifestyle.
“Just be yourself and don’t let anybody tell you who you are” is one of the extremely misleading taglines from the new Pantene ad. A feel-good nod to those who falsely believe gender can be chosen, the tagline sadly goes against the biblical truth that God created us and decided who we were before forming us in our mothers’ wombs.
The commercial is narrated almost entirely by one mom as the other mom quietly sits beside her, with a few added lines from Sawyer. But do not be deceived. Notice some of the misleading wording used within the ad to normalize the LGBTQ lifestyle:
Opening tagline: For LGBTQ kids, hair is more than how you look. It’s how you are seen.
Sawyer has always been super gender creative.
And hair has been a big part of her transition.
Once she told us that she identified as a girl, she immediately wanted to grow her hair out.
Sawyer said, “It made me feel good and confident, and it made my insides match my outsides.”
This was a kid who knew who she was from such a young age.
So, I’m always telling Sawyer to never hide who she is. Always be herself. Never be afraid to step out and exist as the person that she is.
Sawyer states, “My advice is just be yourself and don’t let anybody tell you who you are.
Closing tagline: Those who make us feel seen make us feel loved.
Final logo: Pantene/Family is #BEAUTIFULGBTQ/Proud to Support Transgender Visibility
Pantene Pro-V also tweeted:
“Hair is a large part of our identity. And for LGBTQ+ youth like Sawyer, who choose to express themselves, their style, & their creativity through their hairstyle, it can help them feel seen. Catch up with Sawyer and her mom Ashley & see how this family is #BeautifulLGBTQ.”
Procter & Gamble, Pantene’s parent company, also owns several other lines of products that conservatives should avoid purchasing and supporting. This ad is not the first time P&G has pushed the LGBTQ agenda in their commercials. In fact, 1Million Moms has launched campaigns and voiced our concern in the past regarding P&G’s transgender Gillette ad for Father’s Day, as well as their lesbian Head & Shoulders ad for prom.
But instead of ditching its politically-charged messages, P&G took their message to an even deeper level with this transgender Pantene ad. So let this serve as a warning from One Million Moms to P&G customers that do not want to support ideology that pediatricians actually call “child abuse.”
We wanted to let you know that, once again, P&G has decided to cater to homosexualsand their sinful lifestyle choice. And since a portion of each sale goes to help finance P&G’s social agenda that has nothing to do with hair care products, it’s time to find another, family-friendly brand and product line.After all, there are plenty of hair care products on the market for moms to buy for their families that do not support liberal causes. We have a choice.
Moms are aware that P&G manufactures a long list of popular products, but P&G needs to remember that other competitors make similar products. Moms also know that store brand products will help the grocery bill in this tough economy.
Have no fear! One Million Moms will continue to support companies in the future when we fully understand that they stand on principles and morality. Likewise, we will choose to stay away from those who do not support moral decency.
Pantene needs to hear from you.
Openly supporting the homosexual agenda versus remaining neutral in the cultural war is just bad business. If Christians cannot find corporate neutrality with Pantene, they will vote with their pocketbook and support companies that are neutral.
Pantene is irresponsible to air such a commercial, especially when families are likely to be watching. It is extremely destructive and damaging to impressionable children viewing the commercial. Everyone knows children mimic what they see and hear.