Woman In Video That Went Viral Faces More Serious Child Abuse Charge
LOCHBUIE, CO – A Denver woman who allegedly abused her child in an incident that was captured on home video appeared in court on Friday.
Weld County officials announced the arrest of Katerina Kennedy-Flores, 27, early Thursday afternoon. She was originally charged with two counts of child abuse, a Class 2 misdemeanor, however one of the charges was increased to child abuse causing injury, a Class 1 misdemeanor.
Police arrested Kennedy-Flores in Denver on Wednesday, more than two weeks after the video was allegedly made in the Weld County town of Lochbuie, about 30 miles northeast of Denver.
The 16-minute-long video, which was shot by Kennedy-Flores’ roommate while she still lived in Lochbuie last month, spread across social media. It shows a young boy screaming and crying while the alleged abuse took place. Kennedy-Flores is seen shouting obscenities at and acting aggressively towards the child.
Court documents indicate the boy was left with multiple bruises from his mother’s attacks. The mother hits the child and throws things at him in the video.
Her bond was set at $3,000 and a protection order says she can’t have any contact with the boy or anyone under 18.
LOCHBUIE, Colorado – A child seen being abused in a video shared widely on social media is now in protective custody and his mother in jail.
A Lochbuie woman identifying herself only as Sue, said she reported the abuse to police nine days after recording Katrina Flores-Kennedy on April 30.
The dark, cell phone video is disturbing. The screams of who Lochbuie police believe is Flores-Kennedy can be heard yelling at her toddler son about a lost phone charger.
The boy, wearing a t-shirt and diaper, can be seen crying as his mother yells at him and hits him.
Sue did not want to appear on camera or give her full name, fearing for her safety after posting the video.
“I was only trying to help. I know everybody’s seen (it), and everybody’s making it like I’m a monster for recording it, but they don’t understand the situation and the circumstances,” she said.
Sue explained she didn’t step in to help the child out of fear and did what she thought was best.
“She was still in my home. I was scared. I was terrified. I didn’t know what to do,” she said.
Flores-Kennedy and her son were temporarily staying in Sue’s home at the time. Now, the boy is in protective custody but only after Sue said she posted the video online when she didn’t think police were taking action to protect the child.
Sue’s sister said the family is getting death threats.
“It’s extremely hard. People don’t know the emotional effects that we’re going through being the ones who put it out there. But nobody wanted to see that baby hurt anymore and if this is what it takes, so what if the world hates us. At least that baby is saved,” her sister said.
The 27-year-old mother is charged with three counts of child abuse.
She appeared in court by jailhouse video Thursday afternoon. A judge ordered a $3,000 bond, and is keeping Flores-Kennedy from contacting her son or anyone under the age of 18. She will be back in court next Friday.
The woman who recorded the video was also cited for child abuse. Late Wednesday night around 10:40 p.m., Lochbuie police officers wrote Sue a citation. She said she will fight those charges.
Your agenda shows right through the illusion of helping Children, because BS DOES NOT smell like anything associated with Children, more like CRONYS and GOOD OL’ BOYS….
“I honestly believe just through the calls and emails that I’ve received that we start looking at other diocese,” Rozzi said.
When people start throwing The Clergy under the bus, it always turns out they got something to hide.
As it turns out, I recall quiet a list of things just for the past 2 years that Pennsylvania would love to hide:
Pennsylvania ignoring Sex Offenders and Child Sexual Abuse in their own school systems.
Attorney Questions Changed PA Child Abuse Report.
PA DHS 3rd Revised 2014 CA Report.
Sexual Abuse Suspects Sentenced to 880 Years in Prison.
I believe it needs to be mentioned FOR THE RECORD, that reports of Child Sexual Abuse is UNSUBSTANTIATED only less than 2% of the time, while reports against The Clergy is UNSUBSTANTIATED over 65% of the time, and it must be mentioned FOR THE RECORD, that Law Enforcement conducts all investigations. Which is, as it should be since Our Officers of the Law are properly trained and best know the Laws.
UPPER MARLBORO, MD (CN) – A Maryland elementary school choir director persuaded dozens of children to perform sexual acts on camera by telling them they were part of a “club,” a mother claims in a class action.
Jane Doe No. 2 sued the Prince George’s County Board of Education, elementary school principal Michelle Williams, and the alleged molester, teacher assistant Deonte Carraway, on Feb. 11 in Prince George’s County Court.
A second mother, Jane Doe. No. 1, filed a similar complaint, which was not a class action.
Carraway, 22, was arrested on Feb. 6 and charged with 10 counts of felony child pornography and sexual abuse.
He worked for the Judge Sylvania Woods Elementary School in Glenarden as a paid teacher’s assistant from November 2014 to September 2015, then as an unpaid volunteer, according to the complaints.
According to the class action, “On multiple occasions, Carraway coerced John Doe No. 2 to engage in sexual acts with him on school property during school hours.”
Carraway also made the boy “engage in sexual acts with him on multiple occasions at the Glenarden Municipal Center” at Friday night choir practice, the mother says.
Carraway scheduled meetings with and sent photos and videos to John Doe 2 through the smartphone app Kik, which allows people to send anonymous photos and messages, Doe’s mother says.
Carraway’s predations began in early 2015 went on until January this year, when another student’s uncle “discovered that Carraway had been communicating with his nephew and other children on Kik,” the complaint states.
“The student’s uncle saw that there were inappropriate pictures of students that were sent through Kik.”
The uncle notified principal Williams on Feb. 4 this year and called police that night, according to the complaint. County police then found four SIM cards from Carraway’s cellphone.
“On just one of the SIM cards, there were at least 44 recordings of sexual acts involving children,” the complaint states.
It continues: “Upon information and belief, on some of the recordings, Carraway can be seen or heard directing the children to perform certain sexual acts.
“Upon information and belief, one of the recordings is of a child performing a sexual act on Carraway in a school bathroom while he recorded the act on his cellphone.
“The obscene recordings on Carraway’s phone range from 8-second clips to videos running over a minute.”
So brazen was Carraway that he would call students out of class and tell them they “would be participating in a ‘club’ with him to help persuade them to engage in these sexual acts on camera,” the complaint states.
His victims were as young as 9, and “the number of victims is at least 10, but it may be as many as 30,” according to the complaint.
Doe’s mom says that Carraway’s sexual abuse was “common knowledge among the students.”
She says that although parents and teachers “expressed concern” about Carraway’s “predatory behavior,” principal Williams took no action, claiming they had “no proof.”
Doe blames the “complete absence of any supervision and oversight of his conduct.”
Doe seeks class certification and damages for Title IX violations, other civil rights violations, violations of Maryland human rights law, negligent supervision, intentional infliction of emotional distress, invasion of privacy, and battery.
She is represented by Timothy Maloney with Joseph, Greenwald & Laake in Greenbelt, who represents Jane Doe No. 1 in her lawsuit against the same defendants.
Attorney Maloney said the criminal and civil cases are just beginning.
“The shocking events at Sylvania Woods Elementary revealed a profound breach of trust,” Maloney said in an email Sunday.
Almost all of the nearly 700 students at Sylvania Woods are black and Latino and/or qualify for free or reduced-price lunch, according to The Washington Post.
Authorities have identified 17 victims so far, 9 to 13 years old, according to the Post.
Principal Williams is on paid leave, and Carraway is being held on a $1 million bond.
It is far from unusual in complaints such as this for parents to claim that school administrators knew of or had reason to know of a teacher’s abuse, but failed to take action.
“Ruining someone’s career can be actionable,” one attorney with knowledge of such cases told Courthouse News. “Failing to ruin someone’s career is less actionable.”
Morgan County, Colorado – Caregivers, law enforcement officers and others in Morgan County are still adjusting to Colorado’s new method for reporting child abuse.
This month is the one-year anniversary of the statewide child abuse and neglect hotline, 1-844-CO-4-KIDS. The hotline was created by the Colorado Department of Human Services in an effort to give “mandatory reporters”—those who are required by law to report suspected child abuse—and others a single phone number to call whenever they’re concerned about a child, no matter where they are.
In 2015 the hotline received more than 26,000 calls statewide, but many people are still using the old, county-specific numbers, and Morgan County is no different.
Before 2015, people who suspected a case of child abuse would typically call the police or the Morgan County DHS directly. The new hotline automatically links callers to the appropriate call-taker for their county. In Morgan County, that’s usually someone in the DHS, who then notifies the police if necessary.
“There are goods and bads to it,” Fort Morgan police chief Darin Sagel said.
The hotline slightly delays police officers’ response time in emergencies, he said. Sagel also worries that some severe cases aren’t being reported to the police, since individuals who call the hotline are “not always equipped to tell how extensive the abuse is.”
But Jacque Frenier, director of the Morgan County DHS, said the hotline can save callers time by directing them to the right local organization immediately. It’s also helpful for those who don’t know which county the child lives in, or don’t speak English, she said.
“Initially, there were some hiccups,” she said. “But they’ve got most of them fixed now… the county’s mandatory reporters were used to calling us directly, but they’re getting used to it.”
The DHS has a few screeners whose job is to take calls about child abuse and determine the cases’ severity. In about three cases out of four, they then pass it along to the police. The only exceptions are cases which they determine require more assessment.
Many mandatory reporters, like teachers and medical workers, still call DHS or the police directly because those are the numbers they’re familiar with. Altogether, Frenier estimated her organization gets about 50 calls a month reporting child abuse or neglect.
Above all, she said it’s important to gather as many details about the situation as possible before calling the hotline. The more information DHS workers and law enforcement have, the faster they can respond.
“Many of us want to do the right thing, but some are unsure about first steps,” Robert Werthwein of the Colorado Department of Human Services said in a press release about the hotline. “This hotline can, and in many instances, should be step one.”